The 2020 Paralympics kick off on Tuesday 24th of Augustin Tokyo and will run until Sunday 5th of September. The visibility of the Paralympics has grown over the last number of events, this is down to increased coverage by broadcasters especially Channel 4 who’s London 2012 Coverage set a very high bar and they are set to continue that this year.
RTÉ too have increased their coverage and broadened out their presenting team to be more inclusive.
This year a new campaign has also been launched with the back the
Paralympics and the opening and closing ceremonies will have sections on it – We The 15
WeThe15 is sport’s biggest ever human rights movement to end discrimination. We aim to transform the lives of the world’s 1.2 billion persons with disabilities who represent 15% of the global population.
This is an excellent campaign and will hopefully live on after the games. The Paralympics on Twitter have been posting advice like the below. Check it out.
Using the right terminology is absolutely essential. It can reduce misunderstandings, erase misconceptions and improve communication. pic.twitter.com/MLMysGee6r
— Paralympic Games (@Paralympics) August 19, 2021
Ireland will be represented by a 29 strong group of athletes. Organised by Paralympics Ireland, they will compete in 9 sports.
The team is made up of:
- Katie George Dunlevy & Eve McCrystal – Tandem Cycling: Track: 1000m Time Trial & 3000m Individual pursuit Road: Time Trial & Road Race
- Martin Gordon & Eamon Brynes – Tandem Cycling: Track: 4000m Individual Pursuit & 1000m Time Trial Road: Time Trial
- Ronan Grimes – C4 Events: Track: 100m Time Trial & 4km Individual Pursuit. Road: 4km Individual Pursuit & Time Trial
- Gary O’Reilly – H5 Time Trial & Road Race
- Richael Timothy – C3 Events: Track: 500m Time-Trial &3km Pursuit. Road: Road Race & Time-Trial.
- Patrick Flanagan S6 – 100m Backstroke & 400m Freestyle
- Ellen Keane – S9 100m Backstroke, SB8 100m Breaststroke, SM9 200m Individual Medley
- Barry McClements – S9 100m Backstroke & 400m Freestyle
- Nicole Turner -S6 50m Butterfly, SB6 100m Breaststroke, SM6 200m Individual Medley
- Róisín Ní Ríain – S13 100m Backstroke, S13 100m Butterfly, SB13 100m Breaststroke, S13 50m & 200m Freestyle, SM13 200m Individual
Phil Eaglesham – SH2 – Mixed R9 – 50 m rifle prone
- Tamsin Addison – Horse: Fahrenheit – Grade V Individual Test, Team Test, Freestyle
- Rosemary Gaffney – Horse: Werona – Grade IV Individual Test, Freestyle
- Kate Kerr Horan – Horse: Serafina T – Grade III Individual Test, Team Test, Freestyle.
- Michael Murphy – Horse: Clever Boy – Individual Test, Team Test, Freestyle.
Pat O’Leary – KL3 / VL3 – 200m (both)
Colin Judge – SM3 Singles
Britney Arendse – Women’s 73kg
Kerrie Leonard – Open Category
- Orla Comerford – T13 100 metre
- Mary Fitzgerald – F40 Shot Putt
- Jordan Lee – T47 High Jump
- Niamh McCarthy -F41 Discuss
- Michael McKillop – T37 1500m
- Patrick Monahan – T53 Wheelchair Marathon
- Jason Smyth – T13 100m
- Greta Streimikyte – T13 1500m