There has been many calls over the last number of months for US Republican Presidential hopefuls to drop out of the race for the Nomination. With Mitt Romney reaching half the number of delegates required for the nomination, pressure on Rick Santorum, Newt Gingrich and Ron Paul to pull out of the race is growing.
Last night Mitt Romney won the primaries in Maryland, Wisconsin and Washington DC. Now Romney has carried 18 states compared to Santorum’s 11 and Gingrich’s 2. Ron Paul has yet to win a state.
None of the candidates seem set to pull out. Rick Santorum will more then likely re-asses this if he does lose his home state of Pennsylvania on April 24th. He is hoping to get enough delegates to prevent Mitt Romney from gaining the nomination on the first ballot in Tampa in August.
Gingrich and Paul still say they will go to the convention, but with a growing number of senior of Republicans calling on them to bow out, they may eventually follow that advice.
With major primaries coming up on April 24th in Connecticut (28), Delaware (17), New York (92), Pennsylvania (72) and Rhode Island (16) could of course change how many of the candidates will continue to the convention.
The current delegate standings are (1,144 to win) according to AP/Google:
- Romney, Mitt 655
- Santorum, Rick 278
- Gingrich, Newt 135
- Paul, Ron 51
Barack Obama is beginning to treat Mitt Romney as his opponent as he has criticised him in a speech last night, while Romney ignored the other Republican candidates in his victory speech focusing on Obama’s record in office, this could be a sign of things to come.
Also last night Barack Obama won the Democratic nomination as he has 2,854 delegates which is more then the 2,778 needed to win the nomination at the Democratic National Convention in Charlotte, North Carolina.
- Mitt Romney Collects 37 Delegates With Maryland Primary Victory (baltimore.cbslocal.com)
- When the Going Gets Tough, Mitt Romney Wins Delegates and Rick Santorum Goes Bowling [Politics] (jezebel.com)
- Romney Sweeps The Day: MD, WI, DC (alan.com)
- Romney wins Maryland, halfway home on delegates (seattlepi.com)
- Worthy reasons for Ron Paul & Newt to stay in race? (gaypatriot.net)
- NYT: Mitt Romney, Rick Santorum and Newt Gingrich ‘Should Be Racing’ to Condemn NOM (towleroad.com)