Well as usual every year I do my preview of the Eurovision Song Contest and try and do a prediction, which goes horrible wrong! Mainly its just random thoughts on the song. I have included links to the songs on youtube, so you can make up your own mind! So anyway Semi-Final one will take place on May 12th. There are 18 countries in this semi, and 10 will go on to the final. As well as the countries in this Semi, United Kingdom, Germany and Spain will be voting also. This is what lies ahead for us on the first night.
1. Montenegro: Andrea Demirović with “Just Get Out of My Life” (Youtube)
Montenegro are sending Andrea Demirović to Moscow. This is nice pop song which does grow on you. Not a song that stands out though in comparison due to chart music at the moment.
2. Czech Republic: Gipsy.cz with “Aven Romale” ( Come in gypsies) (Youtube)
So the Czech are the first of the ‘joke’ entries this year. Sometimes I like ‘joke’ entries but this is not one of them. I hope it crashes and burns. It will now do well cause I said that!
3. Belgium: Patrick Ouchène with “Copycat” (Youtube)
This song is very 60’s/70’s but reminds of all types of music I love! Yes, I know hes an Elvis impersonator, but this song is one you just want to swing to. This should sound good live and do well!
4. Belarus: Petr Elfimov with “Eyes That Never Lie” (Youtube)
I never really like Belarus’ entry, and this year is no different and sounds a lot like a Dima Bilan song. While I know it did well for Russia last year, I can’t see it being replicated this year for Belarus.
5. Sweden: Malena Ernman with “La voix” (The Voice) (Youtube)
Sweden have a habit to put in cathcy songs and this year they have put in a fantastic song. With a fast backing track and Malena’s fantastic voice, this song is just wow. This song has actually blown me away and if it doesnt get out of the semi’s there is something wrong with Eurovision!
6. Armenia: Inga and Anush with “Jan Jan” (My Dear) (Youtube)
I dont know what to make of this song, part of me likes it with the eastern influences and that, but another part is like what is this?? Its an ok song, but not one I would remember.
7. Andorra: Susanne Georgi with “La teva decisió (Get a Life)” (Your Decision) (Youtube)
This is a nice song, that has a slow beat and sets it out from the others in this semi so far. It sounds a bit like a country song, but its an enjoyable listen. (I also love the video!)
8. Switzerland: Lovebugs with “The Highest Heights” (Youtube)
Finally a rock song! Its a song that slightly reminds me of U2. Its a hugely diferent from Andorra, allowing both countries to stand out, but I prefer this one!
9. Turkey: Hadise with “Düm Tek Tek” (Youtube)
A song that to me kind of sums up Turkey and Eurovision (apart from last year). A good song, thats very Turkish, but very pop. It will do well as Turkey normally does.
10. Israel: Noa and Mira Awad with “There Must Be Another Way” (Youtube)
Israel are always slightly different, and this year is no exception with this ballad. It is sung in Hebrew, Arabic and English. Pity for them only one country in Eurovision speaks two of those languages (Israel!!!). Its a nice song and as first ballad may get through.
11. Bulgaria: Krassimir Avramov with “Illusion” (Youtube)
A lively song after Israels ballad again creating a contrast that may benefit both. Not sure if I like it or not, but I’ll give it time.
Iceland this year try out a ballad and I love it! A lovely song, not sure how it will be recieved but may come out better then Israel due to the running order. I hope this does well.
13. FYR Macedonia: Next Time with “Neshto shto ke ostane” (Something that will remain) (Youtube)
Another rock song and this one reminds me of the 8o’s! Not sure if its because of the hair! I like it though, its in Macedonian thats all that bothers me about it, but its a rocking tune!
14. Romania: Elena Gheorghe with “The Balkan Girls” (Youtube)
A modern pop song from Romania this year which reminds me slightly of Rihanna. Its a nice song with a definite Balkan feel. Will qualify in my opinion.
15. Finland: Waldo’s People with “Lose Control” (Youtube)
A class dance song! My favourite song from this year so far. Its brilliant! Can see myself dancing to this a lot!
16. Portugal: Flor-de-Lis with “Todas as ruas do amor” (All the streets of love) (Youtube)
This is a nice upbeat song from Portugal, with a livens up at the chorus and you want to clap along to. It sounds traditional, but as I know nothing about Portugese traditional music, someone else will have to tell if I’m right or wrong on that. Its certainly different from the other songs in this semi so far. I think Flor-de-Lis could do well,
17. Malta: Chiara with “What If We” (Youtube)
Malta tries really, really hard every year to win and Chiara is hoping to make it third time lucky (she represented Malta in 1998 and 2005). What If We is a beautiful song, a ballad which reminds me of a Disney film score. Its a powerful song, will it be Malta’s year?
18. Bosnia and Herzegovina: Regina with “Bistra voda” (Clear Water) (Youtube)
The last song of the first Semi-Final and its another ballad. This ballad has a strong Balkan feel to it considering it’s Bosnia and Herzegovina’s entry. Don’t let the name of the performer fool you, Regina is a band and not a girl as I thought. Its a good song.
So this is where I half make an educated guess and half my favourite songs on who gets through to the Final. So who gets the “Kiss of Death” from me this year?
- Finland (Love this song!)
- FYR Macedonia
It was actually quite hard to pick ten countries this year, so this will be an interesting Semi.
Look out for Preview of the second semi after Fine Gael Ard Fheis next weekend!
Related articles by Zemanta
- No more nul points at Eurovision? (telegraph.co.uk)