ILGA-Europe (International Lesbian and Gay Association – Europe) have a petition for MEP candidates on its website.
ILGA-Europe is calling upon candidates for the European Parliament elections 2009 to sign this pledge to promote equality and to combat discrimination based on sexual orientation, gender identity and gender expression in their role as member of the European Parliament.
The 7 Irish MEP Candidates are:
- Nessa Childers (Labour – Ireland East)
- Pronsias De Rossa MEP (Labour – Ireland Dublin)
- Mary Lou McDonald (Sinn Fein – Ireland Dublin)
- Dan Boyle (Green – Ireland South)
- Susan O’Keefe (Labour – Ireland North-West)
- Alan Kelly (Labour – Ireland South)
- Joe Higgins (Socialist Party – Ireland Dublin)
Fair play to them for signing it. Susan O’Keeffe’s comment was really touching:
NO MORE PLEDGES
I PLEDGE TO WORK TOWARDS THE DAY WHEN NO MORE PLEDGES LIKE THIS ONE WILL BE REQUIRED. WE ARE EQUAL AND THAT’S ALWAYS WORTH FIGHTING FOR.
(Caps aren’t mine)
She makes a good point.
See who signed in your country