Well it has happened. The President has signed the Defamation Bill into law today which means in Ireland you can now be prosecuted for blasphemy. Yes that is right, in this Ireland of the 21st Century I can no longer complain about God, Jehovah, Allah, The Flying Spagetti Monster, or any other deity in case I get prosecuted for the crime of blasphemous libel.
Now while I am a church going person (Church of Ireland), with a healthy respect for himself upstairs, I don’t he (or any other deity) is going to be too upset if an unbeliever blasphemes against him (or her or them). Are priest now going to have to be very careful with what they say in their sermons if they mention another religion.
Its crazy that in this day and age I have to be very careful in what I type, say, tweet or what ever in case someone takes offense in what I say and decides to try and bring a prosecution against me.
Its a bollocks to be honest. I agree with my Bishop, its time to take Blasphemy out of the Irish Constitution!
Related articles by Zemanta
- “The Council of State should advise the President accordingly..” (sluggerotoole.com)
- National Blasphemy Day (bocktherobber.com)
- Who wants Ireland’s blasphemy law? (guardian.co.uk)
- Blasphemous Libel (bocktherobber.com)
- Crimes of Blasphemous Libel (bocktherobber.com)