So Cian of Irish Election let us know the news that Máire Geoghegan-Quinn has been nominated to be Ireland’s EU Commissioner in the next College.
I personnally think that is a great choice from the Government (its not often I say that!). Geoghegan-Quinn has a great track record at home and in Europe and will be sure to get a good portfolio. Maybe Budget, Administrative Affairs or Audit and Anti-Fraud.
This is good news also for the Gendered Balanced Commission Campaign. They want 1/3 of the commission to be women so that means 9 countries need to nominate women. So far five female candiates have been nominated from:
- Sweden (Cecilia Malmström)
- Bulgaria (Rumiana Jeleva)
- Cyprus (Androulla Vassiliou)
- Luxembourg (Viviane Reding)
- Ireland (Máire Geoghegan-Quinn)
I hope four more countries step up to the plate! or maybe five!
Related articles by Zemanta
- Brian Cowen Nominates Máire Geoghegan-Quinn as Next EU Commissioner (irishelection.com)
- For Irish, E.U. May Stand for Economic Unity (nytimes.com)