The Liberal Democrats have posted the agreement online. Here are some of things that jump out at me on Political Reform.
- We agree to establish a committee to bring forward proposals for a wholly or mainly elected upper chamber on the basis of proportional representation.
- The parties agree to the establishment of five year fixed-term parliaments
- The parties will bring forward a Referendum Bill on electoral reform, which includes provision for the introduction of the Alternative Vote in the event of a positive result in the referendum, as well as for the creation of fewer and more equal sized constituencies.
- The parties will bring forward early legislation to introduce a power of recall,
- We have agreed to establish a commission to consider the ‘West Lothian question’
- The parties agree to the implementation of the Calman Commission proposals and the offer of a referendum on further Welsh devolution.
Some big things there! What jumps out at you?
Also David Cameron has just announced that Nick Clegg as Deputy Prime Minister will be responsible for Political Reform. So this will be an important part of the agreement.