I did not expect to be adding to my diary today, but last night I got a text to say that Enda Kenny would be campaigning in Cork today. So I got up early to head into town to meet up the leaders tour.
The rain was terrible, and the tour and run over time in the Simon Community and St Johns College so when Enda arrived we went to the English Market, that favourite of campaign stops when on a tour of Cork. There was a large crowd of supporters from both Cork City constiuencies and a number of candidates were also in attendance in cluding Pat Burtion, Jerry Buttimer and Simon Coveney.
It was an interesting morning as you had the usual Cork characters out in force ranting and raving about the SAS to the price of wine. Yes, I am serious I was lucky enough to be standing in front of this particular person.
There was also a protest by those against blood sports, what is missing from that report is that when Enda drove off the protestor shouted
“You are against blood sports don’t vote for the Green Party”
That of course led to cheers from us and a look of complete embarrassment on his face!
An interesting morning was had.
- Diary of a Canvasser: Dawn to Dusk (and beyond!) (stephenspillane.com)
- Diary of a Canvasser: Where’s Enda? (stephenspillane.com)
- Diary of a Canvasser: 3 Nights, 3 Candidates (stephenspillane.com)
- Diary of A Canvasser: Day Out, Day In (stephenspillane.com)
- Irish Examiner\Red C – Cork South Central Poll (stephenspillane.com)
- Diary of a Convasser: Winter Election Campaign (stephenspillane.com)