So that last week of the flew by and before I knew it I was voting an tallying the results! I had a very long weekend awaiting results, but for a change in a national election, the results had me and others shocked. We knew Fine Gael were going to do well, but we didnt think we were going to do *this* well.
It was amazing to see Fine Gael Candidates who I had met over the years topping the poll and others coming in closely with their team to show that Fine Gael really can manage the vote.
In Cork South Central I was delighted that Simon Coveney and Jerry Buttimer were elected to the 31st Dáil. I was disappointed that Deirdre Clune lost her seat, but we also knew that Michael McGrath of Fianna Fail was going to be a hard candidate to beat.
We have no time to rest on our laurels. Fianna Fail are going to be fighting back and we need to be ready for them for when the local elections come around in 2014.
I wonder who I will be canvassing for then!
- Irish Examiner\Red C – Cork South Central Poll (stephenspillane.com)
- Diary of a Canvasser: 3 Nights, 3 Candidates (stephenspillane.com)
- Diary of a Canvasser: Where’s Enda? (stephenspillane.com)
- Diary of a Canvasser: Dawn to Dusk (and beyond!) (stephenspillane.com)
- Diary of a Convasser: Winter Election Campaign (stephenspillane.com)
- Diary of a Canvasser: Enda Comes to Town (stephenspillane.com)