Its been a busy week here and I have managed to miss to polls that were published last Thursday, the 6th of October. The first poll was in the Irish Times and was carried out by Ipsos MRBI. The figures were as follows:
- Higgins, Michael D (Lab) 23%
- Gallagher, Sean (Ind) 20%
- McGuinness, Martin (SF) 19%
- Davis, Mary (Ind) 12%
- Norris, David (Ind) 11%
- Mitchell, Gay (FG) 9%
- Scallon, Dana Rosemary (Ind) 6%
In the second poll by Red C for Paddy Power showed a similar result.
- Higgins, Michael D (Lab) 25%
- Gallagher, Sean (Ind) 21%
- McGuinness, Martin (SF) 16%
- Norris, David (Ind) 14%
- Mitchell, Gay (FG) 10%
- Davis, Mary (Ind) 9%
- Scallon, Dana Rosemary (Ind) 5%
The polls are interesting to look at as they really are within the margin of error of 3%. The other fact to take in these polls is the collapse in the support for Senator David Norris. It seemed that he enjoyed more support when he wasnt on the ballot paper.
The surprise of the polls is that Sean Gallagher is now the second favourite. This of course can be seen by the media now turning their attention to him and his past.
That is the one commonality in this campaign. As a candidate starts to climb in the polls, the media turns against them. Is that how we want our campaigns run?
Also if your not sure which way to vote, Votomatic is back to help you decide! I did it earlier and it suggested I vote in the following way:
- Mary Davis,
- Micheal D Higgins,
- Sean Gallagher,
- Martin McGuinness,
- David Norris,
- Dana Rosemary Scallon,
- Gay Mitchell.
With 16 days left in the campaign we will have plenty of polls and I will endeavour to keep on top of them. It will be interesting if the media can influence any further change in the polls. Interesting times ahead.
- Pollwatch: RED C/SBP Polls September 25th (stephenspillane.com)
- PollWatch: Sunday Independent/Millward Brown Landsdowne (stephenspillane.com)
- PollWatch: RED C/Paddy Power #aras11 (stephenspillane.com)