There is an interesting poll in tomorrows Sunday Business Post by Red C on both Party support and the fiscal treaty referendum. It is worth nothing that the poll was taken before the announcement on a deal on the Promissory Note and the Mahon Tribunal Report .
The top-line figures for party support are as follows:
- Fine Gael 34% (+4)
- Labour 15% (-1)
- Fianna Fail 16% (-1)
- Sinn Fein 18% (nc)
- Ind/others 17% (-2)
Fine Gael manage get to get a four point bump in the poll this month. I am not sure exactly why considering all the major developments happened after the respondents were polled! Of course with the Ard Fheis next weekend there has been some mention of that. Labour and Fianna Fail both continue their slow slide, but of course the next poll will the most important one for Fianna Fail. If their move to kick Bertie Ahern and others mentioned in the Mahon Report are the right moves to keep support from the voters. Also it shows the Fianna Fail Ard Fheis and the apology has not helped with the polls.
Labours as the junior coalition party seem to be the ones suffering from policies implemented as there voters do not seem to agree. Of course with their National Conference coming up they could manage to stake out their own course after that.
Sinn Fein hold on to their support level as they start their campaign against the Fiscal Compact Treaty. Independents and others are the ones who are down two points as can happen when a party gets a boost larger then 2 percentage points.
On the treaty referendum the poll found the following:
- Yes 49% (+5)
- No 33%(+4)
- Undecided 18% (-9)
When the undecided’s are excluded it is
- Yes 60%
- No 40%
Which is no change from the polls earlier this month. The campaigns have yet to get under way, but with the undecided’s splitting evenly at the moment it might not be tight, but lets not get complacent!
- Micheál Martin’s Speech at Fianna Fáil Árd-Fheis 2012 (bocktherobber.com)
- Ireland to vote on Fiscal Compact (stephenspillane.com)
- Negotiations under-way on Promissory Note deal (stephenspillane.com)
- Creighton warns Yes side of Complancency (stephenspillane.com)
- Fine Gael go into their Ard Fheis well ahead of a jostling political peloton… (sluggerotoole.com)
- Encouraging polls for the “Yes” Campaign (stephenspillane.com)
- Bertie to be banished by FF (irishexaminer.com)
- The Mahon Report… (cedarlounge.wordpress.com)