I recently posted about those seeking election to Cork City Council, I am now turning to the European Elections and looking at who is running the European Elections. First up is Ireland South with its 4 seats. 15 candidates are standing and are canvassing across the counties of Carlow, Clare, Cork, Kerry, Kilkenny, Limerick, Tipperary, Waterford, Wexford and Wicklow for your vote over the last 9 days before the polls open on May 23rd.
Candidates listed by order of appearance on Ballot Paper with links to Social Media Profiles. * denotes current MEP
Richard Cahill, Non- Party
Richard is the only candidate from County Clare running in this election. He has decided not to have any posters. He is from Sixmilebridge and is a volunteer community worker. You can see his Youtube video here.
Deirdre Clune, Fine Gael
Deirdre is one of 3 Fine Gael candidates in Ireland South. She is from Cork and formerly represented Cork South Central in the Dáil. She is a former Lord Mayor of Cork and is currently a Senator where she is Spokesperson on Enterprise, Jobs and Innovation. She can be found on Youtube, Twitter and Facebook
Brian Crowley*, Fianna Fail
Brian Crowley is another Cork candidate hailing from Bandon. He has represented this are in the European Parliament since 1994 making him one of Ireland’s longest serving current MEP’s. He has topped the polls in the past and will more then likely do so again. He can be found on Facebook
Jillian Godsil, Non-Party
Jillian Godsil was in the papers long before she was a candidate. She forced the Government to change the law to allow bankrupts to run in the European Elections. She is a writer by profession and comes from Arklow in Co. Wicklow. Her tagline is “writing my way out of trouble”. She is also running for Wicklow County Council. She can be found on Twitter
Simon Harris, Fine Gael
Simon is currently the youngest TD in Dáil Eireann. He is from Greystones in County Wicklow. He is secretary of the Fine Gael Parliamentary Party and a member of the Public Accounts Committee. He was previously a member of Wicklow County Council and Greystones Town Council. He can be found on Youtube, Facebook and Twitter
Kieran Hartley, Fianna Fail
Kieran Hartley is the second Fianna Fail Candidiate in Ireland South. Coming from Kilmacthomas in County Waterford. This is first time running for Elections and is self-employed. He can be found on Facebook.
Theresa Heaney, Catholic Democrats (The National Party)
Theresa Heaney is a Housewife from Timoleague County Cork. She has previously ran for the Dáil in Cork South West in 1997 for the National Party getting 5.12% of the vote and in 2002 as in independent polling 1.98%. She is the Chairman of the Mothers Alliance Ireland.
Sean Kelly*, Fine Gael
The 3rd Fine Gael candidate and current MEP. First elected to the European Parliament in 2009. A former GAA President from Killarney, County Kerry, he has been nominated and won MEP of the year from his peers in the European Parliament. He can be found on Facebook and Twitter.
Liadh Ní Riada, Sinn Fein
Liahh Ní Riada, daughter of the late Musician Sean Ó’Riada, hails from Baile Mhic Ire in County Cork. She is the Irish Language Officer of Sinn Fein. She previously worked with RTÉ and TG4 as a Director and Producer. She can be found on Facebook and Twitter.
Diarmuid O’Flynn, Non-Party
Diarmuid O’Flynn is a sports journalist from Ballyhea in County Cork. He currently writes for the Irish Examiner. He is known for starting the “Ballyhea says no” protests. He can be found on Facebook and Twitter.
Peter O’Loughlin, Non- Party
While Peter O’Loughlin is registered as Non-Party is the sole candidate of the National Independent Party who advocate Irish withdrawal from the European Union and were formed early in 2014.
Dónal Ó’Ríordáin, Fís Nua
Dónal Ó’Ríordáin is an engineer from Bandon and this is his first election. This is also Fís Nua’s first European elections. He can be found on Facebook.
Grace O’Sullivan, Green Party
Grace O’Sullivan is from Waterford and is an ecologist. She has been an activist for many years with Greenpeace. She is a former Irish Surf Champion. This is also her first time contesting an election. She can be found on Facebook and Twitter.
Phil Prendergast*, Labour
Phil took over this seat following Alan Kelly’s election to Dáil Eireann. She comes from Clonmel in County Tipperary making her the only Tipperary candidate in this election. She is a midwife by training and previously served on Clonmel Borough Council and South Tipperary County Council as an independent. She can be found on Facebook and Twitter.
Jan Van De Ven, Direct Democracy Ireland
Jan Van De Ven is an entrepreneur from Avoca County Wicklow. He is the Chairman and Leader of Direct Democracy Ireland. He plans to use eDemocracy to bring decision making back to the people. He can be found on Facebook and Twitter
FF’s Brian Crowley is sure to top the poll and will more the likely be elected on the first count. Fine Gael’s Sean Kelly and Sinn Fein’s will get the 2nd and 3rd seats not sure in what order. Leaving Labour’s Phil Prendergast and Fine Gael’s Deirdre Clune the front runners for the last seat. If I were a betting man, I would but my money on Clune. I cannot see any of the independent or other party candidates getting anywhere close to quota.
As there are no Bye-Elections to the European Parliament following the resignation or death of an MEP there replacement is chosen from the list submitted by parties and candidates at the time of the election. Here are the replacement lists for Ireland South.
REPLACEMENT LIST R.C. (Presented by Richard Cahill)
- CAHILL, MARELEN, Sixmilebridge, Co. Clare.
REPLACEMENT LIST F.G. (Presented by Fine Gael)
- KELLY, SEÁN, Gortroe, Killarney, Co. Kerry.
- CLUNE, DEIRDRE, 144, Blackrock Road, Cork.
- HARRIS, SIMON, 79, Redford Park, Greystones, Co. Wicklow.
- D’ARCY, MICHAEL, Annagh, Inch, Gorey, Co. Wexford.
- BURKE, COLM, 36, Farranlea Grove, Cork.
- O’HALLORAN, EMMET, 42 Mercier Park, Cork.
REPLACEMENT LIST F.F. (Presented by Fianna Fáil)
- CROWLEY, BRIAN, Maryborough Lodge, Douglas, Cork.
- HARTLEY, KIERAN, Ballyboy, Kilmacthomas, Co. Waterford.
- O’HIGGINS, ADRIAN, Shellumsrath, Callan Road, Kilkenny.
- O’SULLIVAN, NED, Cahirdown, Listowel, Co. Kerry.
- DALY, MARK, 34, Henry Street, Kenmare, Co. Kerry.
- AMBROSE, SIOBHAN, Dún Mhuire, Melview, Clonmel, Co. Tipperary.
REPLACEMENT LIST C.D. (Presented by Catholic Democrats(The National Party).
- BENNIS, NORA, 16, Revington Pk, Limerick.
- CAREY, MARGARET, Horse & Jockey, Thurles.
- MAHON, ELIZABETH, Rathmines, Dublin 6.
REPLACEMENT LIST S.F. (Presented by Sinn Féin)
- GOULD, THOMAS, 121, Cathedral Road, Cork.
- O’LEARY CHRIS, 17, Loughmahon Road, Mahon, Cork.
- FUNCHION, KATHLEEN , 28, Whites Castle, Knocktopher, Kilkenny.
REPLACEMENT LIST D.O.F. (Presented by Diarmuid Patrick O’Flynn)
- FITZPATRICK, FIONA, Pike Farm, Charleville.
- MOLONEY, PATRICK, Broghill, Charleville.
- RYAN, PHILLIP, Shinanagh, Ballyhea.
REPLACEMENT LIST F.N. (Presented by Fís Nua)
- NUTTY, BEN, 34, Sweetbriar Terrace, Lower Newtown, Waterford.
REPLACEMENT LIST G.P. (Presented by Green Party/ Comhaontas Glas)
- NOONAN, MALCOLM, 35, Fr. Murphy Square, Kilkenny, Co. Kilkenny.
- MANNING, CORMAC, 36, The Meadows, Classes Lake, Ballincollig, Co. Cork.
- RYDER, MARY, 17, O’Connell Avenue, Turners Cross, Cork.
REPLACEMENT LIST L.P. (Presented by The Labour Party)
- WALSH, DECLAN, Oldenburg, Lower Road, Cobh, Co. Cork.
- KANE, ADRIAN, 42 Idaville, Old Blackrock Road, Cork.
- SHORTT, CLLR. TOM, Walnut House, Browns Quay, Thomondgate, Limerick.
- Ó HÁRGAIN, CLLR. SEÁN, Sceilig, Green Hill, Kilkenny.
REPLACEMENT LIST D.D.I. (Presented by Direct Democracy Ireland).
- BURKE, LOUISE, Ballygahan Lower, Avoca, Co. Wicklow.