The European Liberal, Democratic and Reform Party have today launched an individual membership system for the European party. Now you no longer need to be a member of a National Party to be a member of the ELDR.
for €25 a year you can become an associate member and you will get the following benefits:
- An Associate membership card,
- Home delivery of the quarterly ELDR newspaper,
- The ELDR electronic newsletter.
- Personalised invitations for selected events.
- Furthermore, associate members will be able to participate and be a candidate in online elections that will select the delegate(s) representing associate members at the yearly ELDR Congress.
“Direct participation is all about nourishing the quality of future democracy. And with this initiative ELDR would like to add flesh to the bones to what was introduced in 1992 by the Maastricht Treaty: the European citizenship” commented Annemie Neyts-Uyttebroeck, President of the ELDR Party.
“Associate Membership for individuals – Neyts-Uyttebroeck added – is a sign of support to the European liberal values of freedom and individual responsibility, democracy and the rule of law, respect for human rights and tolerance”.
Of course to be a member you cannot be a member of any national political party that itself belongs to any other European political party other than the ELDR Party.
This is an interesting idea from the ELDR. It will do two things for them. One create a possible cash flow and secondly create a a grouping that will work for them outside of the framework of the national parties. I wonder will other European parties follow their lead.
- Roche Re-elected ELDR VP (stephenspillane.com)