Total Valid Poll: 1,124,000
At least 3 Candidates to be elected from each sub-panel
Elected Candidates: 9
Remaining Candidates: 0
State of the Parties: FG 3, FF 3, SF 1, Ind 1, Lab 1,
Sinn Fein’s Pádraig Mac Lochlainn
has continued the form for Sinn Fein by topping the poll on the 1st count with 114 votes. He has benefited from having no running mate and cleaned up.
Labour’s Aodhain O Riordain had a great campaign and finsihed 2nd with 88 1st preferences. Aodhain was finally tipped over the line on the 33rd count with the transfers from Fine Gael’s Colm Burke and picking up transfers throughout the count.
While the Independent candidate Frances Black came 3rd with 75. Black was eventually elected on the 28th count having proven quite transfer friendly picking up votes for from parties and independents.
Fianna Fail’s Catherine Ardagh is certain to be elected. Ardagh will most likely be joined by Aidan Devitt. Ardagh was elected on the 28th count following the elimination of Neil Blaney. Ardagh was joined by both Davitt and Horkan on the final count having managed to stay ahead of the independent Dineen.
Fine Gael’s Catherine Noone was elected
on the 26th count to the second seat following the elimination of Imelda Henry. Fine Gael will get a second seat and it will more then likely be Colm Burke. Following the elimination of John Crowe on the 31st Count, Colm Burke was elected on the 32nd Count. Fine Gael got the 3rd seat on the final count with Paul Coghlan also staying ahead of the independent candidate Dineen.
Ciaran Staunton looked to be in the running for a second independent seat but he was over taken by Nigel Dineen. He would be challenging either Fine Gael or Fianna Fail for their 3rd seat, but with 32 of Staunton’s transfers
deemed non-transferable on after his elimination on Count 30 and only small amount of transfers available from Frances Black’s transfers it was not to be.
- Mac Lochlainn, Pádraig (Count 1) SF
- Noone, Catherine (Count 26) FG
- Ardagh, Catherine (Count 28) FF
- Black, Frances (Count 28) Ind
- Burke, Colm (Count 32) FG
- O’Riordain, Aodhain (Count 33) Lab
Coghlan, Paul (Count 35) FG
- Davitt, Aideen (Count 35) FF
- Horkan, Gerry (Count 35) FF
- Curley, Donnacha (Count 2) Ind
- Kennelly, Mike (Count 3) FG
- Hughes, Mary (Count 4) FF
- Power, Milo (Count 5) Ind
- Neylon, Eoin (Count 6) FF
- Casey, Peter (Count 7) Ind
- Keane, Cait (Count 8) FG
- Lavelle, William (Count 9) FG
- McEllistrim, Thomas (Count 10) FF
- Kelleher, Niall (Count 11) FF
- O’Shea-Farran, Linda (Count 12) FG
- McKiernan, Sean (Count 13) FG
- O’Rourke, Aengus (Count 14) FF
- MacSharry, Tom (Count 15) FF
- Owens, Danny (Count 16) FF
- Kelly, Joe (Count 17) Ind
- Hanafin, John (Count 18) FF
- O’Donovan, Deirdre (Count 19) Ind
- Butler, Ray (Count 20) FG
- Griffin, Arthur (Count 21) FF
- Ward, Barry (Count 22) FG
- Bannon, James (Count 23) FG
- Ryan, Rob (Count 24) FF
- Henry, Imelda (Count 25) FG
- Blaney, Niall (Count 27) FF
- Stauton, Ciaran (Count 30) Ind
- Crowe, John (Count 31) FG
- Dineen, Nigel (Count 34) Ind
Follow @oireachtasnews for updates on the vocational panels.
Current Seanad Standings