This evening the Taoiseach’s 11 nominees to Seanad Eireann were announced. They are as follows:
- Paudie Coffey (former Senator, Dáil Deputy and Minister of State)
- Joan Freeman (Founder of Pieta House)
- Michelle Mulherin (former Dáil Deputy)
- Ray Butler (former Dáil Deputy)
- Frank Feighan (former Senator and Dáil Deputy)
- John O’Mahony (former Dáil Deputy)
- Dr James Reilly (Former TD and Minister)
- Billy Lawless (advocate for Irish immigrants in the U.S.)
- Colette Kelleher (CEO Alzheimers Ireland)
- Pádraig Ó Céidigh (Businessman)
- Marie-Louise O’Donnell (Former Senator)
Joan Freeman, Colette Kelleher and Pádraig Ó Céidigh were all nominated by the request of Fianna Fail.
One are that has been completely overlooked is that now Tipperary is the only county in Ireland which does not have a Fine Gael national representative. This will make it hard for Fine Gael to regain a seat in this constituency.
The first meeting of the new Seanad will take place on Wednesday 8 June at 3pm.